It’s lunchtime or dinnertime. You’re in need of food, and you want it to be nutritious and a complete meal. A vegan food bowl is the perfect solution, and assembling one allows you to be creative because almost anything goes. At the same time, you will likely think harder about the chosen components of your meal, ones that will help create nutritional balance. Combining protein, healthy fat, and complex carbs for a meal helps you sustain energy throughout the day and keeps you nourished.
Not every bowl has to be prepared fresh. Leftovers can be rediscovered and used…and given a whole new look. Your taste buds will be alerted to the mix of ingredients, and will wait in anticipation for your culinary creation. So here are some basic steps to building your vegan food bowl:
- Pick your veggies Green is good, but then again, so are orange or red or yellow. Raw, roasted, or steamed veggies will do. Use the veggies as a base, and start piling.
- Pick your complex carbs Potatoes, whole grains, legumes, or another starch. They will provide the energy to keep you moving.
- Pick your protein Tofu, tempeh, seitan, chickpeas, or lentils are great choices. Proteins help keep you full and avoid grazing throughout the day or night. It is also essential for tissue repair, for maintaining muscle and bone health, for healthy hair and nails.
- Pick your healthy fat Olive oil, nut/seed oils, hemp oil, avocado, nut butters, hemp seeds or flax seeds can flavor your bowl nicely. Fats help slow the digestion of food, which means you feel sated for longer. They also can help regulate insulin and blood sugar, help maintain healthy skin and hair, and can have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add a dressing or sauce A little flavor goes a long way.
Garnish Seeds, chopped herbs, nutritional yeast, or nuts are the perfect toppers for your vegan bowl.
PlantCuts products can be the star of your vegan food bowl. Choose any of our flavored seitans — Traditional, Bacon, Kosher-Style Salami, or Pepperoni — to be the ideal protein. You can slice them, fry them, stack them. Or one or more of our deli “meats” might be your choice. Corned Beef, Pastrami, Roast Beef or Cooked Chicken would work well in your bowl. Check our online store for those, and more, items that you would like to feature as the protein in your vegan bowl.
We’re happy to share this Fajita Bowl recipe featuring PlantCuts Tex-Mex Beef Strips. It’s quick and easy to prepare, leaving you lots of time to enjoy your meal. It makes enough for at least two people, or you can always pack up the leftovers for tomorrow.
1 medium onion, sliced
1 sweet bell pepper, sliced
1 package PlantCuts Tex-Mex Beef Strips
5 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups cooked rice
Garnish (any one or all of the following)
- vegan cheese
- chopped cilantro
- chopped lettuce
Sauté onion & bell pepper in oil until tender (6-8 min), stirring occasionally.
Add PlantCuts Tex-Mex Beef Strips, lime juice, and spices and continue cooking until heated through (2-4 minutes).
Serve over a bed of rice with your choice of garnish.
Makes 2- 4 servings.